Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Oxford, England: Pick Up Your Oxford Blues... and Alice Trinkets

Oxford, England. Home to more esteemed British academia.

Visiting Oxford in October 2008 was quite the trip. Literally. I had injured myself in Montpellier only a few days before leaving so I was obliged to awkwardly hobble about towns during my UK getaway.

I managed to snap a pathetic amount of photos due to the pain I was in. The one below is of an Oxford Blues shop. One of many stores in which visitors and students alike could purchase their very own Oxford blues. I, of course, couldn't leave this town with such a rich academic history without at least picking up a classic Oxford University tee-shirt.

Alice shop and Oxford Blues shop in Oxford, England.

Can't leave Oxford without an official University of Oxford tee shirt.

Alice in Wonderland fans may also be familiar with Oxford. The author, Lewis Carroll, was inspired by many aspects of the university, which he attended, and incorporated these aspects in his stories. A rowboat trip beginning at Folly Bridge served as the inspiration for the tale of Alice, a girl who created her own adventure.

So, as an homage (?) to Carroll and his wildly popular tales of Alice, her mementos can also be purchased about town.

No comments:

Post a Comment